Anton Ian Nielsen is a Danish painter and artist. His works take inspiration from the subconscious, quantum physics, subcultures and art history. Like Los Angeles’ Lowbrow movement, which tried to comment on the cultural trends of the time with humorous, “low-culture” references,
Anton Ian also tries to comment on modern society with the symbolism of popular culture. Often with a humorous expression, he paints and creates works that connect and excite with a colorful palette and references from both art history, graphic design, street art and popular culture. Often animals and people in existential longing.
In the same spirit, he has published four children’s books and a poem collection with the publishing house Fleksibel.
5 questions to Anton:
1. Did your parents liked it when you told them you wanted to be an artist.
* Yes, they’ve always been very supportive. Had I told them I wanted to move into drug trafficking, they would have given me tips and tricks as well. (SPACE: glad you chose to be an artist)
2. Is it hard to be an artist?
* Being “an artist” is just a label, and living up to a label is very hard, no matter your profession. What does an artist do? Paint? Painting can be very hard, it sticks to your clothes so you don’t have fancy clothes anymore. At other times it can be a joy beyond belief. Post on Instagram? I hate posting on Instagram. Meet up at exhibitions and either small-talk or talk about deep existential dilemmas, I like that. Freeing your subconscious mind? That’s very helpful. Contributing to culture instead of mindlessly consuming it? Super cool, if possible. Transporting your artwork? Easier with a car or someone with a driver’s license. Selling it? Wooo.
3. When you are together with friends, what do you do?
* Play Fifa, chess, walk, drink coffee or tea, eat at restaurants, lift things, talk about their babies and their new life.
4. Name 3 all-time favourite movies.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, Festen, Ratatouille
5. Explain in short what creating art does for you?
Frees me from my time-space identity by creating something that wasn’t there before.
Things - Solo, Art Monday, May News - Springbrættet6a, June
Off The Wall - Group Expo - Art Monday, June Divided Summer – Solo - Art Monday, October
Biggie - Private Showing.
Ræven der blev fyret - Fleksibel - ISBN 9788797082331 Den Sultne Panda -Fleksibel - ISBN 9788797082331 / Release at Jolene Sådan kom jeg over - Fleksibel - ISBN 9788797082317 / Release at Springbrættet6a Kaninen der ville danse - Fleksibel, 2021, ISBN 9788797082331 / Release at Art Monday
Katten der ville sove et år - Fleksibel - ISBN 9788797082355